Monday, December 28, 2009

I think she's startin' to turn....

"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it. And even if he is not romantic personally he is very apt to spread discontent among those who are."
~ H.L. Mencken



Even before reading all of the Mencken quotes here and here (most of which I have long since subscribed, even before being aware of the man), I felt this quite strongly...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
           ~ H. L. Mencken

It is nice, from time to time, to stumble upon wisdom, you know to be true.  Have I become a cynic?  You're damn right I have.


Christmas has past, and all I think about is the real meaning.  What Jesus did to offer hope for mankind to free himself from oppression.

I posted this link on Facebook and got not a single comment.  Not one. I doubt anyone even read it, and if they did, and understood it, how could one not comment?  Must have been too busy shopping.  For those of us with who understand Mencken, who understand Thoreau, it may even make us weep.

In Hoc Anno Domini
So the light came into the world.

What have we done?  Dear God, what have we done?

No comments: